Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: Nature's Variety Instinct Raw frozen diets

Review time!

What is it?
It is Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Frozen Diet. It is grain-free.
Beef finished first so the pictures
are from this bag.


What does it do?
Raw food is the most natural form of nutrition for your dog - as evidenced by the astounding results our customers experience every day. Freedom from allergies, help with weight loss, and improved skin and coat are some of the amazing testimonials we receive.” -Nature's Variety website



Who are they?
Nature's Variety is a dog and cat food company based out of Nebraska. The Instinct Raw Diets are not the only lines they carry, they also have Prairie, which is a holistic dog and cat food, and Instinct dry, which is a grain-free kibble and canned food line. They also have treats for the Instinct line and Sweetspots, which are frozen treats.



How much did the bag cost?
The bag of Nature's Variety Instinct Raw in Beef cost $15.99. It is a 3lb bag and you get 48 medallions. So each medallion roughly costs 0.33 cents.

Are there other flavors?
Yes, besides the Beef, there is Venison, Rabbit, Chicken, Organic Chicken, Bison, and Lamb.

Where can it be purchased?
From what I have seen on their website when I did a store locator check, it is usually carried in specialty pet stores. I do know Petco is carrying the Instinct dry dog food but I don't know if certain locations are carrying the raw or not. It would be best to check on the Nature's Variety website: http://www.naturesvariety.com/locator . The website also has a link to online retailers.

How I came upon it and the verdict:

I had gotten a coupon from a representative when I was at work to try it out since I was having issues with Beezee eating his food. I did not want to give him canned food since it kind of makes him smell more when he uses the bathroom and he was licking the wet food off of the dry food. I did give it a questioning look when when I read the bag about it. It seemed like a lot of effort. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out with the dog.

Close up of the bag


In the beginning to keep costs down, I was mixing his dry, kibble dog food with the raw, however, he was doing the same thing as he was when I was giving him wet food. He was eating the raw and leaving the dry until around five o'clock at night when he would actually eat it.

The bag is resealable and comes in a plastic bag.

The medallions are probably about 2 inches thick or so, maybe more. I haven't measured them but according to the Nature's Variety, each medallion is 1 oz. Beezee weighs roughly 8 lbs and isn't that active so per their feeding guidelines, he gets 2-4 medallions per day. Currently, he gets feed 2 medallions a day. Their website offers a different plan for giving raw and dry kibble together to help with costs. 

You can feel and see the pieces of ground bones that are there. Beezee has not had any problems with the pieces being in the food. I break the medallions into small pieces so he can't have any problems with eating and I'm sure if it were up to him, he would just eat the medallion whole. 


On the back of the bag, there are several different sections that break down how to store the food, what to do with the food, and a few other important tips. The bag does have a handling section about the food. Since it is frozen, raw meat there is the risk of contaminating yourself and areas that the food touches. While animals can't get sick from that, we, humans, can and the tips should be taken seriously. Do following all directions that are on the bag, it's for your own good.

Back of the bag



Very important tips!
While it is kind of gross to touch the medallions to break them up into smaller pieces, it is worth the price in my eyes. Beezee's flaky skin has cleared up and from what I have heard from other people, he even feels like he has lost some weight. And the bones in the food help me sneak in the dog's pills since he just thinks that it is part of it. I have recommended to this brand to a few people who have picky dogs and so far they like it for their dogs too.

Beezee and I give it 4 out of 4 paws.






So as long as I have access to this food and Beezee continues to eat it, I will continue to buy it for him. I tried to take as many detailed pictures as possible.

Disclaimer:
While I do work at a pet retailer, all my opinions are not influenced by anything else. Not by the company, not by my job but only by Beezee when it comes to dog related items. At the same time that isn't to say that just because Beezee may or may not like something, that does not mean other dogs will or will not. Always try things out for yourself. 

All items were paid for by myself with my own money.




1 comment: