Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: Nioxin Scalp Recovery

This is my review for the Nioxin Scalp Recovery Set. There are lots of pictures.

I purchased this set at the random salon in the mall that I walk through to get home from work. The set comes with a cleanser, a conditioner, and a soothing serum. The cleanser and conditioner come in a 200 mL (6.76 fl oz) bottles while the soothing serum comes in a 100 mL (3.38 fl oz) bottle. The bottles say that they will help the "elimination of visible flakes with regular use." But there's an asterisk so when you flip the bottle over, it says "when used with Nioxin Medicating cleanser and soothing serum."   They are pyrithione zinc based cleanser and conditioner.
The set



The Nioxin Scalp Recovery Medication Cleanser can be used either twice a week or daily depending on how much flake action is going on. The cleanser smells nicely. So much better than Neutrogena's T/Gel shampoo. The cleanser is white in color so no worries about shower walls getting stained. The directions say to massage onto wet scalp, rinse, and repeat if necessary. The cleanser left my scalp with a tingly yet burning sensation that felt nice in a weird way.
Back of the cleanser bottle.
I forgot to take a pic of the front. 

Drug Facts, warnings,
and all that jazz.

Ingredients
The Pyrithione Zinc Dandruff conditioner is a moisturizing conditioner that can be used the same way as the cleanser. It smells the same as the cleanser. When I first started using this, I definitely noticed a major difference in my hairs condition. It was looking dry and sad since I was not using a proper conditioner with the T/Gel. This also leaves that tingly yet burning sensation like the cleanser. The conditioner is white in color and a little bit denser than cleanser as most conditioners are.
Front of the conditioner

The back of it.

Conditioner drug facts and
what not.

Conditioner ingredients
Lastly, the Nioxin Scalp Recovery Soothing Serum. The serum has a pointed opening that gets twist opened so you can apply the serum where necessary. It is milky in color when applied and dries clear once the serum is absorbed into the skin. This is to be applied one to four times a day. I typically applied it twice a day. This serum definitely leaves a burning sensation on the head.
Soothing Serum

Serum
Overall, I liked this set. It was easy to use, smelled nicely, and would let you know that it is working, The main downside to this is the price. It is pricey to buy Nioxin products no matter where you look, even online. For a while, I was not using the set as directed since I could not afford to buy more so I was trying to use as little as possible. However, I did manage to get my hands on a liter size of the Nioxin Scalp Recovery conditioner so I began to use the set more often, and it did reduce the amount of flakes I had showing. But due to stress at work, they have not gone away completely.

I would buy this set again if I had the money to do so.

I will talk about my hair washing routine in another post that will come later! :)




Disclaimer: This set was purchased with my own money after finding out about it at Ulta.

1 comment: